Cricket: Ireland men’s captain Andrew Balbirnie has welcomed the return of men’s international cricket in Ireland – the first such matches since September 2019 – as tickets go on general sale for the upcoming One-Day International and T20 International matches against South Africa at Malahide and Stormont.
Speaking following Ireland’s training session on Wedneasday, Balbirnie said:
“It feels great to finally be playing a home international again as a team. It’s been a trying year playing in front of no fans away from home, so to get the opportunity to play in front of friends, family and supporters is very exciting for all of us.
“Having spectators certainly makes a difference – creating an atmosphere at a ground that will hopefully bring out the best in some of our players. Just the buzz around the ground is something I personally have missed and I hope over the next while we all feel that again.
“We know how tough this upcoming series is going to be against an in-form South African side, but these are the opportunities and series that as a player you want to play in. So, hopefully over the next month we see some big performances in green.”
World Cup Super League ODI series:
- • 11 July: Ireland v South Africa, 1st ODI (Malahide)
- • 13 July: Ireland v South Africa, 2nd ODI (Malahide)
- • 16 July: Ireland v South Africa, 3rd ODI (Malahide)
- • 19 July: Ireland v South Africa, 1st T20I (Malahide)
- • 22 July: Ireland v South Africa, 2nd T20I (Stormont)
- • 24 July: Ireland v South Africa, 3rd T20I (Stormont)
CAPTION – Andrew Balbirnie and David Delaney during the T20 Tri Series match against the
Netherlands – SPORTSFILE