St Patrick’s Athletic super fan Peter Reilly is getting used to that Friday feeling!

FOR the first time, I found myself in a bit of a routine. One of the lucky few who is getting to see their team regularly. 

Friday came and I knew it was match day – albeit at an earlier time. Having lost two on the bounce, we need a reaction against another Dublin rival. 

Unlike the last couple of home games, the rain had come down all weekend, giving the place an even quieter feel. Summer ball does not necessarily mean summer weather. The game panned out a little bit like the weather for the first 15 or 20, particularly for the Saints who were a little sloppy. 

Click on link to view St Pats Video Clip

With the ground wet, we struggled to get a foothold. Whenever possession was turned over, which was too often, Bohs looked dangerous. Within 10 minutes, it had led to a penalty – a harsh looking one. Justice done when Georgie Kelly smacked the bar.  For the Saints, the work-rate remained high, with Billy showing tenacity to get about the visitors. Half time came just after another sniff for the Gypsies. Need to fire into the second half.

The crafties and pies seemed to work for Bohs though, and they came out the better. Woodwork saves us again from a set piece. Gradually though, the Saints improved and started to at least get up the pitch with a semblance of authority, either side of a gilt-edge miss from Georgie Kelly.

Time for reinforcements. What a privilege to be able to call on Robbie Benson and what an impact he had. Taking a ball down somewhere between his collarbone, ear and shoulder, he spun in the middle of the pitch before providing a perfectly weighted ball to Matty.  Shoot across the keeper they say, and he did to put Pats in front.

15 minutes to the 90 went slowly but Pats were holding on. As the nerves got worse, so did the tension on the pitch. 

A fight over what was a Pats ball, ended up with Bohs just taking their own throw. 30 seconds later, Liam Burt was fouled outside the box only for the ref to point to the spot. Another last-minute concession was rough to take.

It proved not to be the last minute though. Pats flew forward for one last chance. A deflected cross from Mountney sent the ball up in the air. Benson, sensing an opportunity got the flick on before being fouled. Having set up the first, he won the penalty before slotting it home. With Sligo taking all three points from DCC stadium on Monday night, and the Saints grabbing a late equaliser in Derry, the league is getting tight at the top. Roll on next Friday.

Click on link to view St Pats Video Clip

You May Also Like